Sunday, April 20, 2008

Disney who?

Despite the efforts of media and the environment I have managed to successfully skip over many Disney films. No I do not think I am keeping my kids from any important part of childhood. We read all kinds of beautiful fairy tales. 
And the mother doesn't die in the first 5 minutes!
How do I know I am succeeding?
My first inkling came a few years back, when I was traveling to a wedding where one of my girls was the flower girl. We were looking at a southwest plane with Disneyland written across the side. A huge Mickey mouse face covered the tail. My beautiful Mountain Girl looks at the plane and exclaims "hey - who is that MONKEY?" A ha ! I cheered VICTORY!
Well, maybe not so loud..but I was pleased.
Today it was reaffirmed when my 3 year old found a shirt with a race car on it. "this my new shirt VROOMM" he shouted as he raced around the house. "And who's on your shirt?" my Aunt asked him. To which he replied "Me not know." "VRoom" and he was off again.

ps...I have to admit that we love Pixar films...

No comments: